Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Why Equality?

What sparked my interest in equality?

This interest has been a lifetime issue for me generated by two incidences in my childhood.

As a young girl going to an Australian school for the first time, speaking no English only Dutch, I remember distinctly the first day starting with another student who also didn't speak English but only Greek. The way the teachers and other students treated us was markedly different.  I was blonde with blue eyes and she was dark with brown eyes.  My treatment was so much better, kinder, more accepting, open and warm. The Greek gal was pushed around, largely ignored and shunned!  Even as a small girl I noticed that the color of my skin, my look, my jacket was judged as good, she was bad?  I never forgot the inequality!!!!!!!


The other incident was also at school just a few years later.  Being name called,  Jewish!  The cat calling.  I didn't know what Jewish was?  I knew that my face must have looked Jewish which I learned was true.  Being judged as "bad" because of the configuration of your body, how very moronic, yet it's pervasive throughout the world.

Later on I traveled around the world noticing the huge inequalities particularly for women. Women were mostly seen as a burden to society in a paternalistic culture which is mostly universal. 

Being somewhat of a maverick I chose not to have children and work to remain independent and not rely upon a male for support.  In competing in a mans world I had to be so much better than them to be accepted and given opportunity.

This blog is my opportunity to give back.  Hopefully you may benefit from some of the lessons I have learned in my life!

3 comments:

Inga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

I truely believe that if this world has a chance at peace it is through its women. Can't wait to read on.

Susan said...

Equality is something that has been a long time coming for women. Long before Gloria Steinem began her campaign for equal rights, there were women stumping for the cause. It’s been a long road and the journey isn’t over. As you stated in your post, it can be very difficult for women to be taken seriously in the workplace, particularly in trades where the “good ole boy” mentality is at work. I think women as a whole are more centered in their thinking, not as testosterone driven. We are finally seeing more women in government making influential decisions to the betterment of the people around them. We can only hope that this trend continues.